The 49th annual Academy of Country Music Awards took place yesterday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Miranda Lambert was one of the focus points of the evening, making an appearance in a nude, sparkly dress that showed plenty of cleavage and back. While her dress choice wasn’t necessarily, the most inspired one, the singer was definitely the winner of the night, leaving with the awards for Female Vocalist of the Year and Single Record of the Year, as well as Vocal Event of the Year (together with Keith Urban, for “We Were Us”).
Taylor Swift arrived in an elegant black and white ensemble, with a crop top and high-slit skirt. The singer didn’t win any awards (except for being part of Video of the Year with Tim McGraw and Keith Urban), but she looked like a million bucks while presenting the show.
Faith Hill was another stunner on the red carpet, wearing a dusty baby blue gown with long sleeves and a deep v-neck. The flowy, ethereal dress was perfectly appropriate for the event, and one of our favorites. Another pastel beauty was Kellie Pickler, who went with a lilac strapless gown and retro inspired hairdo.
Olivia Munn dared to wear some color, and her choice was excellent. The sweet rose-colored dress featured a high slit and tasteful cleavage, and was paired with silver heels. We also liked Carrie Underwood‘s fringed gown, a fitted white/silver number which she wore with her hair down in waves and a box clutch.
The award for Entertainer of the Year went to George Strait, Male Vocalist of the Year was Jason Aldean, Vocal Group of the Year went to The Band Perry and Lee Brice‘s “I Drive Your Truck” won Song of the Year.
The top 10 most searched people in 2013 were all celebrities, and they’ve all had a busy year. Here’s who they are:
adobe creative suite 6 production premium
10. Kanye West. The guy has a lot on his mind this year, including the famous quarrel with Jimmy Kimmel. There was also the birth of his daughter, North West, and his over the top proposal to Kim Kardashian.
9. Katy Perry. It looks like her latest single, Roar, was popular enough in 2013 to bring the singer to number 9 on the list of the most googled people of the year. She’s also the biggest act on Twitter in 2013.
8. Selena Gomez. The singer/actress was involved in one of the biggest celebrity breakups of the year: she and Justin Bieber broke it off on the 21st birthday, in July.
7. Taylor Swift. She was the American Music Awards artist of the year for a third time, and still a subject of gossip in 2013, after breaking up with Harry Styles. Her performance at the Victoria’s Secret show was also an interesting topic, since one of the models (Jessica Hart) commented she didn’t find it suitable.
6. Rihanna. The singer and Chris Brown finally broke it off this year, after an Instagram-documented relationship that people didn’t approve of. At least she’s still got it musically – apparently, she and Katy Perry are planning an awesome duet.
5. Beyonce. She cut her hair short and bleached it this year, sang the national anthem on Inauguration Day, and ended 2013 by launching a surprise album.
4. Justin Bieber. The guy broke up with his long term girlfriend, Selena Gomez, and was accused of plenty of things, including peeing in a bucket at a restaurant. Most recently, he stated he’s gonna retire after his next album.
3. Kim Kardashian. She may have only placed sixth in the most searched reality TV stars, but she’s in the top 3 here! The starlet gave birth to North West this year, and she got engaged.
2. Drake. There are just three men in this top, and Drake is one of them, placing second overall. The Canadian is rumored that he’s not dating Rihanna, and he’s actually dating Zoe Kravitz. He will also be the first Saturday Night Live host in 2014.
1. Miley Cyrus. Surprised? Yeah, neither are we. This year, Miley took her blond short hair from Terry Richardson‘s studio to being naked in Wrecking Ball. She also twerked on stage and the VMAs and broke off the engagement with Liam Hemsworth. Full year, huh?
Shopping, decorating & dressing up are part of celebrities' holiday routine:
Kate Bosworth started her holiday decoration with a bride and groom ornament set, which she shared on Twitter: “Decorating the tree! My favorite ornament of the year @
michael_polish ❤️” she added. She also mentioned flying home for Christmas, on the same social network.
Rihanna shared a picture of her doing what she does best: partying. She captioned the Instagram snap “Thank you for picking out these glasses @jennnrosales”, and she wore a “merry” garland around her neck and a reindeer headband. The next day, she looked tired and hungover in a sunglasses pic that she posted.
Miley Cyrus has a full schedule of Christmas gigs, and she uses it as an opportunity to show off lots of skin in holiday gear and her twerking moves. Here in a sequin two piece, she captioned the pic “Almost Bad Santa time! Just one final @eosproducts touch up by @freakabritt before we hit the stage!!”.
January Jones and especially her son, Xander, are in a holiday mood these days. The actress was spotted in a chic black and white ensemble, while the2 year old was wearing a green Christmas themed shirt, and looked super cute.
Alexa Chung already met with Santa, who gives her a hug and holds her hand in this pic. 25.8 k people liked the couple together, and the starlet captioned it “Sick”.
Taylor Swift posted this pic of her and Hailee Steinfeld on Instagram, and captioned it “Merry Swiftmas and Hailee New Year”. The brunette, in turn, shared some pics of the two of them opening presents and playing with bows. Sweet!
Yesterday's edition of AMA was full of surprises.
The red carpet to any event is reason for a few surprises. This year's American Music Awards was filled with them, both on stage and off. For example, 90's girl band TLC reunited on stage – with late Left Eye replaced by Lil Mama – to perform their hit “Waterfalls”. They took us straight back to their decade of glory, wearing matching outfits on the red carpet, with plenty of bare midriff. While these ladies projected images of their former band mate during the performance, Miley Cyrus was “backed-up” by a lip-syncing cat, which matched her cat-print top and panties by Markus Lupfer. She performed “Wrecking Ball” in this revealing outfit, but picked something quite tasteful for the red carpet: a white suit (no bra) with black pumps.
One of our favorite red carpet appearances was Kelly Osbourne, who picked a silver Rami Al Ali gown in tea length, nude pumps by Aldo and a silver clutch. Equally ladylike was Katy Perry, in a black strapless princess gown with flower appliques, accessorized with Charlotte Olympia shoes and book clutch. However, one of the audience's favorites was Rihanna, who changed two Jean Paul Gaultier black gowns and impressed with her sleek hair and radiant skin. The singer went home with the Icon Award and Favorite Female Artist – Soul/R&B, and showed a lot of skin while collecting it on stage.
Every awards show winner, Taylor Swift, got the Artist of the Year, Favorite Female Artist – Pop/Rock, Favorite Female Artist – Country, and Favorite Album – Country, and she went for an atypically short and shiny dress for the red carpet. The singer picked a gold sparkly dress by Julien Macdonald with matching Jimmy Choo sandals.
Other winners of the evening were Justin Timberlake (Favorite Male Artist – Pop/Rock, Favorite Male Artist – Soul/R&B, Favorite Album – Soul/R&B), One Direction (Favorite Band, Duo or Group – Pop/Rock, Favorite Album – Pop/Rock) and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (Favorite artist – Rap/Hip-Hop, Favorite Album – Rap/Hip-Hop). See the full list of winners on Billboard.