Ever since the famous film, The September Issue, came out, documenting the work that gets into a major Vogue number, we all know that the September number of a magazine is its most important of the year. It's when the year truly begins in fashion, with Spring-Summer Fashion Week and all the new trends. The personality on the cover plays a major role – but so does what they're wearing. So, let's have a look at who's wearing what on this year's September issues:
10. Elizabeth Olsen in Dazed & Confused. The youngest of the Olsen sisters flaunts a MiuMiu coat and a widow's veil on the newest issue of Dazed&Confused. Oh, and she looks gorgeous. The photoshoot took place just before Elizabeth's off Broadway portrayal of Juliet and it shows the key styles of the upcoming season. The magazine was released a few days ago.
9. Sarah Jessica Parker in Harper's Bazaar. The former Sex & The City gal is still going strong at 48, when the famous show would have been 15. This year, she covers the September issue of Harper's Bazaar in a sequin cocktail dress by Marc Jacobs, and a slightly outdated pose that struck Terry Richardson's fancy. The mag is out on August 20th.
8. Lady Gaga in V magazine. We've already told you that Lady Gaga is naked in the September issue of V. The singer, who is never afraid of a bit of controversy, is wearing Saint Laurent on the cover, showing just enough skin to make you wanna buy the mag, which will be out on August 29.
7. Blake Lively in Vogue China. One year after Gossip Girl wrapped up, Blake Lively is even more popular in the fashion world than she was back then. On the cover of Vogue China, she's wearing a Gucci gown with mesh and feathers. The actress is also the face of Gucci's fragrance, Premiere.
6. Kate Moss in Esquire. Kate Moss hasn't been on a men's magazine cover in 17 years, and the honor belongs to Esquire's September issue. The mag is already out in stores and it features the model in a menswear inspired blazer and a gem embellished body suit – super sexy.
5. Kate Upton in Elle. The model keeps her bombshell status on the cover of Elle magazine this September. She's wearing a red Lanvin dress and talks about the stereotype of the stupid blonde models. “I’m always like, I’m about to pull something on you, and you’re so focused on thinking I’m dumb you’re not even going to know,” she says. The mag launches on August 20th.
4. Cara Delevingne in W. The model is called “the anti-role model” and a “style rebel” by the magazine, who styled her in white Marc Jacobs separates. In her interview, the 20 year old says that her aspirations are to sing, make music and act. Cara also covers Vogue Japan this September.
3. Natalia Vodianova in Harper's Bazaar UK. This covers shows a bit of romance rather than edge – the model is wearing chic black and white Dior, and the mag calls her “fashion royalty” in the cover story. The issue is already out in the UK since August 6th.
2. Daria Werbowy in Vogue UK. The 29 year old model got a tiny nose piercing for the September issue of British Vogue. While most magazines show off glamour on the cover, Daria is wearing plaid and a biker jacket here. The issue is out since August 5th.
1. Jennifer Lawrence in Vogue. Not that this is the best picture of the bunch, but it's the one of most importance. Being selected by Vogue US for the September issue is a huge honor, and it shows that Jennifer is the it girl of the moment. The actress is wearing Calvin Klein Collection for her cover closeup.
Kate Upton doesn’t have to do much to get everyone’s attention. For example, her latest commercial for Mercedez Benz is titled “Kate Upton Washes the All-New Mercedes-Benz CLA in Slow Motion,” and that’s everything she needs to do to sell the car. Or ice to eskimos, for that matter. The voluptuous model is dressed casually in denim cutoffs and a black tank, she flips her hair and she tells one of the guys who actually do the washing of the car “you missed a spot”. Then she walks away, leaving them in awe. Although the ad is practically innocent, it’s not what the Parents Television Council thinks. It’s sexually tensed: “This ad [reinforces] for millions of wives, daughters and sisters across the country that you use your sex appeal to get what you want. If anything, this ad proves that we’ve regressed rather than progressed over the last several years,” a spokesman said. Pictured above in a gym outfit, but without losing the sexy factor, Upton is wearing tights, a V-neck tee showing off some cleavage, a hoodie and black Ray Ban sunglasses.
Get Kate’s look: Ray Ban RB3025 sunglasses, $104 + free shipping.
Model Kate Upton rose to fame mostly because of her voluptuous body, so different from what we’re accustomed to in the fashion world today. Between all her skinny colleagues, Upton is a breath of fresh air, and magazines like Sports Illustrated take advantage of that to the max. The model managed to get into the high fashion world, covering Vogue USA, UK and Italia and has been named one of the sexiest women of last year by both models.com and AskMen. About the transition, Upton said: “It’s very rare for a girl; to move from one area of the business to the other, largely due to the fact that fashion models are almost without curves, whereas swimwear girls are celebrated for them.” More recently, the bombshell striped down to her bra in a fashion shoot for V Magazine, with a retro influence from the 60s. The 20 year old apparently has acting skills, too, or, as the photographer Sebastian Faena puts it: “Kate was an actress during this shoot. A good one, very sensitive and played the part of a confused, kept housewife with irony. She has star quality. She is like nobody else today.”
Get a similar look: Kate Spade Franca/s sunglasses, $88.